Monday, August 27, 2012

...in an interview

Last night it hit me. I am a senior. After this, there is no clear expectation of what I do, my next step is entirely my own. That is terrifying.

Really though, the law required that I went to school until 16, after that dropping out never even crossed my mind. Even college, sure I ultimatly made the decision where I went and even if I went...but not going was never really an option. I suppose I could have defied everyone's expectations of me and found some job, but I didn't and that is how I ended up at Oglethorpe.

Now I am at the tail end of that journey, and realizing that what I do next only effects me.

Last night I was talking to Justin, telling him that I was begining to rethink my decision of working for a few years before school. He told me that he thought that would just be delaying what I want to do.

He is right you know. Continuing school right now would just be one big delay for me. Honestly, I think school has become my security blanket and the thought of letting it go terrifies me. School is a place to live, people to support me, something to occupy my time. School surrounds me with people who are smarter and more experienced than me, and because of that, I hide behind them, letting them make decisions for me, tell me what is best to do next. They know better, right?

Ms. Nash told me she wants to meet with me and we can talk and figure out what my next steps are. She can give me guidance.
She already gave me my first assignement: start networking, meet people in my field, learn everything I can about it and from them.
I suppose that is where I should start. While I am still in school, I should keep learning.

I guess I need a check list of my September goals:
  • begin setting up informational interviews (have at least 5 set up before the end of the month)
  • buy more professional clothes
  • keep my resume up to date
Happy Monday

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand this! I'm going straight into the career field too instead of going to graduate school. But it's just as exciting as it is scary-- we can do it!!

    ReplyDelete