Wednesday, April 18, 2012

...at Alternative Spring Break

So, it has been a long time coming. I am finally going to post the blogs that I wrote during Spring Break.
It is in the context of that week...and is 8 days, so it is kinda long.




Alternative Spring Break Blog – Day 1 3/17
You know those mornings when you wake up 5 minutes before you need to be somewhere and you have a laundry list of things other than your normal morning routine to do? That was this morning. It was the kind of morning where you are instantly awake, but more from a state of panic than the fact that you actually got a decent nights sleep.
I stayed up until about 3:30 talking to Matt about my future, his future and our respective lives. Now that is someone who I can truly say is a role model. Matthew Claiborne. Maybe you heard of him, because he is kind of a big deal.
Anyway, after frantically throwing the remaining items in my back pack, dropping Iggly off with Zac, I headed over to Emerson. Of course, I forgot to pack socks and the blanket that Justin let me borrow for the week. It is the perfect blanket. I am so sad I left it.
We piled in the van, in route to Charleston SC. Honestly, I slept for the majority of the trip.
The house that we are staying at is too cute. It looks like a compilation of thrift store finds and hand-me-down furniture. My room is lovely. I am sharing it with Ali and Jessie. It has wooden floors, greyish-blue walls and white furniture. The best part is we have this HUGE balcony that looks over the back yard. (which is also huge).
It is stunning. I can’t wait until tomorrow.

Day 2 – 3/19/12
Today was an early early day. We woke up at about 6:15 to leave in an hour heading to “Keeping North Charleston Beautiful.”
We were split into 2 groups. One would remain on site and work in their garden and the other group would get to head off to two different locations. I got to go off site.
My group went to the Butterfly Garden and a small park. We planted flowers and laid out pine straw. This seems easy enough, but let me tell you, next time you look at a nice garden…take a moment and appreciate all the work that went into it.
Anyway, we saw some of the coolest stuff. At the Butterfly Garden, of course we saw butterflies. We also saw these crazy ducks. The were so ballsy. They would come up at you liked they owned the place, and even chased Jake awake from the van. We also saw one sitting on her eggs.
Both groups got to garden and by then end of the day you could tell it was a yard-work day. Fingernails caked with dirt, farmer’s tans, sun kissed faces and bug bites.
Jessie, Ali and I made dinner. We made pancakes, eggs, and bacon. I made pancakes and eggs. I’m the Susie Homemaker of breakfast these days…except not really. Spaghetti tomorrow!!
All in all good day.

Day 4 – 3/20
Today was amazing.
We went to the Dream Mission Center which is an organization located in one of the worst neighborhoods in North Charleston. They provide tutoring, basketball, a free clinic, food pantry and closet donations for the families in the area.
Today Jeet, Ifey, Felecia and I went to Cecelia’s house. She is a woman in the neighborhood who is receiving a total home make over in her kitchen.
It was quite a day. Ifey overcame her fear of dogs and Jeet taught us about Nepali music.
More importantly, we helped a woman who really needed it. She told us her story and why her house got into a state of disrepair.
She had a bad back, Hepatitis from a surgery a few years ago, and her husband spent the money they had on alcohol instead of fixing the house. She assured us that she loved her husband, but he did not always make the wisest decisions.
It really seemed like life dealt her a bad hand. However, despite all of this, she still volunteers at the Clinic every Thursday. It just goes to show that even when It seems like you don’t have a lot, you still have something that you can give, even if it is just time or a friendly disposition.
I was honored to be able to work on her kitchen.

Day 5 – 3/21
This was probably the least rewarding day for me in terms of service, but the most rewarding in terms of the relationships I am building with the people here.
Today I help to take apart the Kitchen at the Dream Mission Center. I also learned to make popcorn and cotton candy. Tomorrow we are running a carnival for preschool children while their parents go to the free clinic. Jake and I will be running the popcorn and Sam will run the cotton candy. Of course, we had to do a “taste test” today.
We have decided to open our own stores. “Papa Jeet’s Cotton Candy” and “J&J’s Popcorn Stand.”
After the project we came home and the boys cooked dinner. By the boys I mean Allen, Jeet and Sam. It was quite the affair. They played classical music, seated us and the meal was a 3 course dining experience.
The menu:
First course – Salad with dressing of choice
2nd course – Chicken Fingers with Macaroni and Cheese
Dessert Course – Brownies
Lovely to say the least.
After dinner I sat outside and talked to Christian and Jake for a while. We started by talking about what we want to do with our lives and what motivates us.
Christian wants to be a dentist. Her passion for it is really inspiring. She says she does not care how many mistakes someone has made, she wants to provide a healthy mouth for someone. In turn this will give them all the benefits of a healthy smile and disband the stereotypes that people may place on someone because of the condition of their teeth. Jake says, she “wants to make people smile.” J
And Jake, Jake is a science major and wants to learn and explore everything. He spoke about how everything we interact has something that can be learned about it. He told us about a transcendentalist painting of a man in a suit looking out at a hill, as if the world was for him to explore. That is how he views the world, and science is his means to make a difference and find the meaning of life.
As we talked, more people joined us and eventually there was quite a crowd. The conversation moved from one topic to another, and of course, the night ended in Pictionary.
After I went upstairs I talked with Jessie about her experiences at Camp Starfish. Let me tell you something, she is going to make an amazing RA.
I realized something in talking to people today. Well 2 things.
The first is that I think that the ability to socialize with people and have fun with anyone is on an inverse bell curve in relation to age. When we are so young, everyone is our friend, we play and awkward moments don’t really exist. Middle and highschool is the bottom of the curve. EVERYTHING is awkward. And as I get older, I am learning how my parents were able to make friend everywhere. You can learn so much from people. I am not much more interesting than I was just a few years ago and there are definatly no fewer awkward moments, I am just different. I think as people get older, we learn to deal with these moments and learn to appreciate them, both the differneces and changes we experience as well as those awkward moments. Where do you thing jokes come from anyway?
The second thing that I learned is that I really am a bubbly soul. Even if a few bubbles pop every now and then, I have the potential and the ability to just blow a few more and if I can’t, just by being around such wonderful people, they can blow a few bubbles for me. J
Anyway, I am exhausted, have a mask on my face that I need to wash off and need to wake up in 6 and a half hours.
Tomorrows agenda: carnival, shopping, fashion week with Felecia, and potentially see Ronshalee. I think it will be a perfect day.
Until then. Good night.

Day 6 – 3/22/12
RONSHALEE.
I got to see Ronshalee today. It was so exciting.
So this morning we went back for our last day at the Dream Mission Center. Today we helped with the clinic, Dream Closet, food pantry and entertaining the kids of the people going to get the services.
My day was mostly spent behind a popcorn machine and getting to hold two kids, Luke and Elle. Elle let me hold her forever, Luke would barely stay in my arms. He loved Jeet though. Jeet would be 10ft away, but if Luke saw him, he would reach out his arms for him. Ifey was so good with the kids too. There was a little boy names Mackie that Ifey had running all around the moon bounce.
Today we got to interact with the people in the community who use the center that we have been working on all week. I think a lot of people got to see what we have really been working for and the impact that this center has and how we have, even in our menial tasks, been a part of that.
This evening we had a reflection and got to talk about our experiences. The things that were said were a complete 180 from our previous reflection. Keturah talked about how this service experience has caused her to think a lot about her city and people’s perception of it. She says it makes her defensive that people are assuming that this is such a place of great need, and according to one of her classes, many Americans, including her family, are not too far from the life of the people we met today. Jessie went on to talk about being on the receiving end of that aid and how embarrassing it is. I could totally relate.
However my family has a hard time realizing that accepting aid would not doom us to the “needy” category. My family thinks “We are the servers.” Reflection made me realize that we have placed ourselves in “us” and “them” categories. They need service, we can provide it. However that is not always the case, service is not such a black and white distinction. People can accept help and still give it. Cecilia, who we helped yesterday, is a prime example of the grey area. She very graciously accepts the help that she needs and in return, gives the time that she can.
That is the most important thing that I have learned from this trip thus far is that it is ok to blur these lines, because they are blurred naturally.
Anyway, back to the trip. So after the project today we got to go shopping by the Waterfront in downtown Charleston. I split from the group and went with Felecia to find Ronshalee. We walked around for forever but ended up at fashion week for some of the best shopping. Had a mini photo shoot and then went out shopping. It was wonderful.
I really feel like I have bonded so much with people one-on-one this trip. I know I will go back to Atlanta with so many new friends and relationships formed. Ifey and I are going to have a Law and Order SVU night and I really feel like I know Jeet so much better.
I cannot wait to go back to school and see these people with this new context added to our relationships.
I also can’t wait to see Justin, but that is another story. J
My feet are stinking up the whole room, so I should probably shower…but for now, good night.
BEACH TOMORROW.

Day 7 – 3/22
We woke up bright and early for the beach. It was wonderful and made the spring break seem not very alternative.
We went Ronald McDonald House tonight to may tacos for the residents there. I used to volunteer with Ronald McDonald in Macon and I loved it. Actually the woman who was on duty that night spoke about the house in Macon.
We did not get much opportunity to interact with the residents, but I did get to talk to the woman on duty and learn about how she was affiliated with the house. She told us that they stayed in the house in Savannah while her daughter was in the hospital. She assured us that while we may not see many residents tonight, our work is still so helpful. Many of the families have long days, disappointing days, or just exhausting days, and the last thing on their minds is cooking dinner. So, us preparing a meal takes one less worry off of their minds which may already be bogged down with countless other worries.
I did not get to sit and eat with any residents, but I got to eat with Jake, Jeet and Ifey. Basically, we were the most culturally diverse table: Nepal, Korea, Nigeria and Macon. We talked about school, growing up in our different places. It was fascinating.
I am surprised at how much I am learning about the people on this trip, and how different, diverse, and amazing each one of them are.
Fun fact: Jeet was born on the side of a mountain and if Jake went back to Korea, he would have to serve for 2 years.

Day 8 – 3/23
Last Day.
Favorite project yet.
We played soft ball with adults with mental and physical disabilities today at the Miracle League. I loved it. It reminded me so much of when I was little and my mom, who works with MR adults, would take me and my sister on outings with them to the movies and lunch.
I loved seeing everyone’s different style with the adults. It seemed like everyone was perfectly matched.
Christian was running a man around the bases in his wheel chair and Sam was with this old man who was quite talkative.
The first round, Christina and I were cheer leaders and tried to learn everyone’s names so we could cheer for them.
The second round I got to be on the field. The man that I was with ran so fast, I could not keep up! He was so nice and too funny. He told me all about his shoes and hats, and gave love notes to all the girls. Talk about a player!
And now we are in the van headed home.
I am sad to leave. ASB is like the best and most rewarding break from life. No cell phone service, no worries, just great people and amazing experiences.
But, I am ready to go back, see everyone and tell people about how awesome Charleston was! It is such a great city.
Now, I think I might sleep in the van.

 ASB 2012 = Win.


No comments:

Post a Comment