Sunday, April 22, 2012

...President

Today was my last Chapter as APO president. As ready as I was to be done with the responsibility, I do not think I am ready to pass the gavel.

As we were doing election for president, I became oddly possessive. I came to the sudden realization that I am not ready to let go, I am not ready for APO to not feel like my responsibility anymore.

I know it is not solely my responsibility, but still...

I kept thinking of more things I want to do. I have been in this Fraternity since my very first semester at Oglethorpe. As a pledge and a freshman, the whole process was one big cluster fuck. I understood absolutely nothing, knew absolutely no one. I even forgot to go to my own initiation.

Needless to say, at that time being president was the last thing on mind, and honestly never seemed like a possibility.

A lot of things didn't before I came to Oglethorpe. It was not until my senior year that I began to peek out of my shell in highschool. I was a nobody. Sure, I was a friend to some, the quiet girl in the back...but I did not talk...at all.

I came to Oglethorpe with one goal: make a few friends, and do not be as shy as I was in highschool. I am naturally VERY loud, so the habit of not talking that I had picked up sometime in my early education was unrewarding and frustrating. I love people and shy was not me.

So that was the goal. Simple enough, talk to people, be yourself. Little did I know that, at Oglethorpe, that small goal would go a long way.

So after making my first Ogle-family, that goal was accomplished, and I set more:

  • Be and RA
  • Join a Sorority (I had a specific one in mind. XD)
  • Lady Oglethorpe...ok that was not really a goal...just a seemingly unattainable secret wish that I got after facebook stalking past winners. Honestly, I never thought that would happen...and even when I was nominated...I was not listening for my name, but there it was. Me, Lady Oglethorpe. When I called my dad and told him, he said, "Well damn, honestly I never thought you would do it, but you did. My daughter is a homecoming queen." He was beaming through the phone. It was one of my happiest moments, because I realized that there are places and moments where just being friendly is enough...I did not have to be the hottest thing to hit this campus, I could just be nice to people, make genuine friends. Anyway, enough of that rant.
  • President of APO. 
Basically, Oglethorpe has given me an invaluable opportunity. The opportunity to grow, to push myself, and meet the most amazing people. 

For real though, if you are not a Stormy Petrel, I'm sorry you are missing out. 

Anyway, back to president. Ready or not, my presidency is over, and Allen is going to do a steller job. 

I am so excited to experience APO from the other side of the exec table again. Sit back and just enjoy the Service and Friendship sides of the frat for a while. 

Right now though, it is bitter sweet. 

To the Brothers of MuMu,
Thank you so much for allowing me to be your president this year. Thank you for the opportunity to give back to the organization which gave so much to me. APO has consistently been the best decision I made while being at OU, and there are a lot of things competing for that title. Leadership, friendship and service are everything I stand for, and being surrounded by people who value these things as well, is invaluable. I feel that there is no place on this campus where I am given as much respect, support, and true brotherhood as I receive in APO. I love coming to chapter, and even our long chapters are enjoyable. There are few people I would wake up before 10am for, and for the opportunity to do service with my brothers, I would even wake up at 9. ;)
Thanks for laughing at my dumb jokes, and bearing with me when I am spacey or frustrated. Thank you for giving me the most adorable squirrel family ever, and to the Peeps...you know I really do love yall, sibling rivalry. :) 
Finally, thank you for honoring me with the leadership award and DSK and trusting me this year to have been your president. 

Consider this my last gavel bang. 
LFS.



Happy Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment