Monday, April 16, 2012

...living a fortune cookie life.

Today started bad, peaked about dinner time at awful, and ended with absolutely wonderful.

So I had to wake up at 7:30am. 
Cranky, exhausted, and not in the mood.
Then, I get a call from home. Since my freshman year, I answer every call from home slightly terrified, because at least once every few months it is bad news. 

These past few months have been dreaded phone call, after dreaded phone call. 
Today was a dreaded phone call day. 

I answer and my dad starts with, "Well, I went to the doctor today, and it does not look good." 
Chest tighten. 
My dad has lost circulation in his good leg. See, freshman year, my dad lost his foot to a staff infection. That was a hurdle, figuring out how to pay for the surgery, the prosthetic, ramps and other changes to the house. However, like everything else, we got through, and that was behind us. Supposedly. But now the other leg.

After talking to my mom today, things seem much better than they originally thought. As of today, they will not have to amputate his other leg. As of today, he is still in the hospital but doing well. 

Anyway, after I found out, I was shaken up, called into work and went to my room. 
I cried. Of course I was scared...but more than that, I was just exhausted. I am sick of dreaded phone calls, hospital rooms that my family can't pay for, and feeling selfishly helpless while I get to sit in Atlanta, ignore it all and pretend homework is my biggest problem. 

Of course, Justin consoled me in the most perfect way. He just let me lie on the bed, hugged me while I had my moment, and then made me get up and carry on. 

He suggested we go for a walk. As we headed down stairs, we saw Zac out the window, grabbed him and left campus for about 30 minutes. Perfect Break. 

Class. After class, my next challenge of the day started.

Taxes. 

I tried 4 different websites to file my taxes. FOUR. Frustrating, but I did it. I put on my big girl pants, tried site after site and filed my first tax return and in 2-3 weeks, my reward (refund) will be in the mail. 

As a "Justin did not get into Grad school and Janet had a shit day" remedy, Justin and I decided to use the P.F. Changs gift card his mom gave me for Christmas. We invited him mom...then I realized that the card was not in my wallet. 

I lost it. I cried the whole ride to the restaurant. Worst part...people on campus saw me. 

I HATE people seeing me cry. I'm strong right? bubbly? Crying does not fit the mold. 

But who cares. People cry, people have moments...and I had one. 

At the restaurant my whole day turned around. I had so much fun with Justin and his mom. They always put me in the best mood...and always treat me like part of their family.
Of course my dad is still in the hospital...but I had so much fun, got my mind off of everything and ate the BEST food. 

We ended the meal with fortune cookies...and very fitting to my life in general...my fortune was
"No need to worry! You will always have everything that you need." 
So, to address the fortune cookie company...thank you. That is my biggest worry, my constant fear and my uphill battle. Sometimes I feel like it is not fair that I have to start in the red...but it is ok. I know that the people around me won't let me fall...and more importantly, I won't let myself. So thank you fortune for reminding me that everything will be taken care of.

Ended the night with Mario Party with Ali and what I consider a deserved shower.

So that is it, my day, and you know what? I'll mark this one as a win.

Oh yeah, and remember my post about wanting my grades...well I should have them all by Wenesday! Paper and debate grades tomorrow (hopefully) and Exam on Wednesday (but I got glimpse at it...and so far so good!) I will keep you posted.

Anyway, Happy Monday.

Picture of my Mom, Dad, and me. Keep them in your thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment