Thursday, May 17, 2012

...a grown up

I am finally 21!
About damn time.

Yesterday was nearly perfect. It was a few people shy of being absolutely perfect, but there will be more celebrations, and I cannot expect to get every wonderful person in my life in one place at the same time, that would be nuts!

Anyway, the day started out with me waking up to half a bed covered in remnants of my couch hopping these past few days. Moving into my new room tomorrow.
This will be my last night in Dempsey. nostalgia.
That means, I will finally live in an upperclassmen dorm. It only took me 2 years longer than everyone else, but I am moving up in the world. :)

It is a bitter sweet moment, leaving Dempsey, but you know...it is time. Growing up.

Speaking of growing up, can we talk about my birthday? 21! (prepare for pictures, Justin documented in "real time.")

After consolidating my room back into manageable, movable piles, I went to a practice interview with Caroline.  Caroline saves my life like every week, her and Alyssa. I feel like they are teaching me how to be a grown up. If you met my silly mom, you would see why I need lessons. :)

Anyway, after that I patiently (or with as much patience as I could muster up) waited for Justin to get here. Happy Birthday me!

I make him take lots of picture with me all the time. 


After visiting Res Life, he took me out for my first legal drink. A margarita that was way to big to drink in the middle of the day and on a stomach filled only with chips and salsa.
You only have one 21st birthday right?



Actually, let me not mislead you...my 21st was very very tame. The wildest thing I did was probably buy a pack of toilet paper without comparing its price to the other brands. Wild, I know.

Anyway, after that we went to Barnes and Noble and Kroger, and then to dinner with his mom.

The restaurant was perfect. It was called Steel and is the most adorable Sushi place ever! For real though, I thought Ru Sans was happening...this place was too legit.


Not only did his mom by me dinner, but his parents got me a card and present as well! They signed it as my 2nd parents. Honestly, I really do feel like Justin's whole family treats me as though I was part of their wonderful, (bougie!) Peachtree City family. :) I am a lucky baby sister. 

After that, Justin and I made it just in time to see the Avengers in 3D at CineBistro. It was SO expensive. I got 2 martinis there...one was so so so good, the other was so so so gross. You win some, you lose some. 

After the movie, we came the the agreement that we thought the movie was awful and we should have just seen 5 Year Engagement. Oh well. 

So with that, my birthday was over. 21 came and went. 

Even though the day was packed and absolutely wonderful, I have some odd feelings about it. 

First, I feel like so much was missing. This was my first birthday not at home, and I do not know how I feel about that. I guess, part of me is sad that I did not get to spend some of the day with my BOTG, Lattimore family. Part of me is guilty that I did not let my parent by my first drink, I bet my dad would have liked that. 

I LOVED my birthday. Everything I did was perfect, but there was a Macon size hole missing.

That is growing up I suppose, things changing, missing some of your norms. I'm just having growing pains I guess.  

The other thing that is on my mind is that this visit was such a clear example of the next stage of Justin and my friendship. And our friendship is evidence to how the rest of my friendships are going to evolve in the next year, and how my past ones have changed in these last 3 years. When it is my turn to graduate, I will have a plan, my friends will have a plan, and based on our current speculations, we do not appear to be headed in the same places. That being said, sporadic, eventful visits are going to have to become a norm. 

That is ok, I just have to get used to it. And until then, I will continue to cry when people leave and be very impatient for their next visit. 

It really is ok though. :) I like growing up. I hear it is good for me, and for that reason...I am ready to take the changes in strides. 

For tonight though, I have packing my room (again), dinner date with Kara, and enjoying my Dempsey skylight for the last morning. Thing really are wonderful. 

Ah, I'm 21! 

Happy belated birthday to me, and happy Thursday to you. 






2 comments:

  1. HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY Janet! You have a great blog!
    I thought Avengers was good, hehehe!
    Anyways it is awesome you had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jeet! You are my first blog comment ever!!!! :)

      Delete