Tuesday, May 29, 2012

...writing in the Notebook.

Let me set the scene. It is 2:30am, What Not to Wear is playing in the background, I have to wake up sometime around 8, and I really need to go to bed. What am I doing instead of sleeping? Rereading my old blog posts.

Each one takes me back into a happy, frustrating, exciting, heartbreaking, simply perfect moment. I read each one imagining the tone I intended it to have. Full of typos and attempts at metaphors. Some give me goosebumps. A few have made me tear up (I can only imagine the tears I shed writing it). Most have made me smile. And all have taken me back to that moment. 

I really love writing. I love trying to make exciting things more dramatic than they are, toning down things that make me sad. I like that in this blog, I am attempting to be honest, and work through my emotions, blogging them out instead of letting them fester and boil in my brain becoming a hardly productive tangled mess...or worse, a lost memory. 

In highschool, my broda Charlotte and I started the Notebook. Our definition of the Notebook does not include Ryan Gosling, instead it documented the day to day dramas of our high school lives. See, the Notebook was our brilliant invention intended to help pass the time in classes and combine our passed notes into one central location. (punny because I went to Central HS :p)
Charlotte and I were in different grades, so our logic was that we would write notes to each other during class in a composition notebook and pass it when we ran into each other in the halls. What was intended to pass the time, became a 4 (or 5) volume staple in our friendship.
Our first entries are ridiculous, notes about people who got on our nerves, pictures from magazines glued in. After a while, our entries got longer, we passed the notebook less and took more time with what we were saying. The entries had more meaning.
We got to know each other better, and the Notebook became a personal journal, but the best part was that this journal could comment back, give you advice, and cared about what you wrote. We scribbled our reactions to each other's posts in the margins of the entries.
Each book had a different theme. However, consistently, the front was covered in photos of the two of us, and some where was our best friend quote, "Yesterday brought the beginning, tomorrow will bring the end, and somewhere in the middle we became best friends." Most volumes were preceded by a photo shoot to take pictures for the cover.
No one could read the books but us, and each has code names...just in case.
Honestly, keeping the Notebook in highschool is one of the best things that I ever did. Cheaper than therapy.
They document the last 2 years of highschool, and one of my favorite things to do is look back, see what we found important enough to write about, what we glued in and how our hand writing changed. From things as innocent as prom dresses pictures and lottery tickets, to more daring things  and even my acceptance letter to OU, the Notebooks have everything. I highly recommend keeping one at some point in your life. 

The front of the Notebook, volume 3. :) 


Anyway, that tangent being said, between that and keeping this blog, I realize how much I enjoy documenting my life. I love that I have access to my past thoughts and emotions. As dramatic, pointless and embarrassing as some of my rants may seem in retrospect, that is what they are there for. They are for me to see how I have grown, and how I have changed...providing evidence that I can keep changing, and a reminder that my current worries may just become an embarrassing blog post or Notebook entry later. 

So for tonight, that is my ramble. 
And to let you know where I left off: it is now 3am, I still have to wake up in 5 hours, and What Not to Wear is still on. :) 

Happy Blogging and happy 3 in the morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment