Thursday, June 7, 2012

...at the Trucker's Chapel

Emily, here is your daily dose of Janet! This post is dedicated to my family and people who are like family.

Yesterday  I woke up, went to work in Res Life and scanned while I very patiently (constantly checking the door, trying to distract myself with what I was scanning) waited for Justin to arrive. See yesterday was a big day. Yesterday we had an exciting adventure planned. Yesterday I was going to leave my painfully slow and repetitive summer life in the bubble for a road trip home. That, and the fact that it had been like a week and a half (I swear it felt like a month) since I saw Justin, gave yesterday the potential to be a very exciting day. :)

After some quick lunch, we hit the road.
During the drive home, I was nervous and excited.
Nervous because I was letting Justin into so much more of my life. So much that I have only told him but never taken him to see, my Macon life. I was also nervous, because I have not seen Mamaw since Christmas and since then, just by talking to her on the phone, I can tell that her mind is going. I was nervous that she would not remember who I was because I was never around and I would just feel guilty for leaving.
That being said, I was so excited to be home. To see my family, to introduce Justin to Mamaw and my cousins, see my Macon staples. It was a packed and seemingly perfect day. It turned out perfectly. No reason to be nervous.

We headed straight to my house. They had a tree cut down that morning, so the power was out at the house, but we went to my room, and the windows let in plenty of light. Mine and my sisters stuff was still in the boxes, and I started going through some of my old stuff, showing it to Justin. I found exactly what I was looking for! When I was little, I started collecting old pennies, and my dad gave me some of his old collection. I have some as old as 1860 from him, and my oldest find was a 1899 one. I found them all!

We then got in the car and headed to follow my parents to Mamaw's new nursing home. When we got there, I was so excited because my Aunt Lizzie was still there visiting and I have not seen her in forever! Literally, it has been at least a year, probably more. We then saw Mamaw and spent a few hours talking to her.

It was an experience. Mamaw had me cracking up. It did take some time for her to recognize me, and she kept trying to figure out who everyone was and how we were related to her. She has gone down hill so fast. She can barely see and her memories is awful. Justin told me that he felt like it was such a graceful way to age. He said she is slowly losing connection with what is keeping her here. She has a hard time seeing, so she is not taking in new memories, and the ones she still has are beginning to fade away. He was impressed by how calm she was with the whole situation. She knows her memory is slipping, but she simply asks to be reminded and enjoys the moments she is in. It was her 97th birthday and it was an enjoyable moment.

It breaks my heart a bit to think about, 97. I know she may not have another birthday left in her, and if she does, chances are she won't even know when it comes again. She told us she was probably about 83, but felt 55. That is a really good thing. She is happy and if this was her last birthday, then I can tell it was good for her. She was surrounded by people she loved. I hope she has 20 more in her. I used to make her promise to live to be 120. She told me she would try her hardest. So far, she has kept that promise.



I really would love for her to see 100. She used to tell Pachan and I that when people get that old, the president sends them a birthday card. After 90, she got a Christmas card from Bush. I want her to get that birthday card!

We talked to Mamaw about all sorts of things. She kept forgetting Justin's name. After he would remind her, she would make guesses at who he was to her. Through out the afternoon he became my brother, son and husband. :) She then told Justin, Pachan and I how old we looked. She told each of us twice.
First round:
Janet - 21
Justin - 31
Amanda - 26

2nd:
Janet - 19
Justin - 25

She would feel our face and tell us we had a young face. Justin wonders what criteria she used to guess. She does not have vision to tell. Who knows, but it was so nice to be able to talk to her. :)

After we left the nursing home, we had a walking date with Katie. I wanted to show Justin the street behind my house. I remember when we were little, my friends and I would walk around the street, pick out our future homes and imagine our lives as neighbors forever. What was even more exciting was when we would stumble across one for sale with a "Take-one" sign.
We always took one.
Read about everything inside.
These were the nicest houses we knew about at the time.
Justin and I did that once. On one of my first trips to Peachtree City sometime last year. Golf cart ride looking for take-ones. Let me tell you, after grabbing the PTC take-ones, I quickly realized we were not in Macon anymore.
These take-ones put the Macon ones to shame. On my street, you had a porch and no garage or carport, or you had a stoop and a garage or carport. Oxford houses had both. PTC house had all that, lake front property, a pool...it goes on and on.
Who cares. My pretend Oxford home still takes my breath away.



It was good to see Katie. She has changed a lot. So beautiful.
Our relationship is really different as well.
We only get an occasional hour-long visit when I finally make it home to Macon.
Conversation is still seamless though. I still die laughing. However, I can tell it has been too long. We have forgotten our forever-old secret hand shake. That is my fault I guess, growing up.
Regardless, being back on my old streets with my old Duckie was the perfect taste of home.

After the walk it was time to see my cousins. I am not sure if I have talked about them in my blog before, but let me fill you in on how important they are to me.
Milton and Jason are like my brothers. They lived with us for a while, and we fought like siblings. However, I think that was such a fortunate thing, because they are my immediate family. I do not understand this extended family nonsense. Cousins, extended family? No. My cousins are as immediate as family can be. My cousins support me through anything, and I do the same. Bottom line.
Family love right there.

I had not seen them, Emily, or my Aunt Lizzie in probably like a year, more even. I was so excited! We were having dinner with them, and it was so nice to be reminded that going to Macon was not limited to my parents, support was not limited to my parents. I have people who care about me and no matter what happens, I have places to go. It is such a nice feeling.

Milton also told me how proud he was of me, how proud they all are. I got away from Macon and am out doing things for myself, breaking the mold. It almost makes feeling guilty to depriving Mamaw of her last chances of Janet-memories worth it. Almost.
I am trying, and now, after this trip, I realize I have so many more people that I am working for. It is not just for myself, for my future, it is for my family. For that reason, I have to kick some ass and make something of myself. Gotta represent the Family.

We ate so well! After eating only my attempts at cooking, the cafeteria, and taco bell for the past few months, it has been a long time since I had such a wonderful family-made meal.
I don't care if a restaurant has 5 stars and the Queen of England flies in for their food, there is nothing like having your family make something for you. I guess they cook in the love that adds a kick of flavor, beats any restaurant, anyday.

But, I won't just tell you...check it out and let your mouth water.

We took some family pictures before we left and I got to ask Milton how he liked Justin. I got a "he is cool as hell," and from Milton, that is quite a compliment! They invited us back anytime and are going to come visit me at school. Aunt Lizzie even invited me and Justin to come and stay with her in North Carolina! I looked at but tickets today, I just have to figure out my work schedule! :)

It is so nice to be reconnected with my family again. I kept telling Justin, this is where I came from. This is my lifeline, and I am damn proud of it.


After saying our goodbyes, we had Dairy Queen planned with Magz. I kept trying to tell Justin the story of this Dairy Queen, but we kept getting distracted! 
So I will tell it now, one day, when we were little, my mom got all the kids on my street (Me, Pachan, Katie, her brother Trey, Charlotte, her siblings Kiley, Casey and Sam) and piled us into the car and bought us all dairy queen. 
Pachan and I used to go here with my mom after a shopping trip. 
After I got my ears pierced with Kiley (Charlotte's sister) we all stopped to get some DQ. This DQ used to have a back booth where people signed the wall. Charlotte started to write her name and as soon as she got 3 letters on the wall, Kiley tattled. Figured. For a while the "Cha" was still there. They have since remodeled, but it is nice to know that it is there, under the boards. "Cha." 
Finally, the summer between my freshman and sophomore year, Magz and I used to go to that dairy queen whenever we had a hard day or were upset or stressed. 
So, we headed there yesterday. 

How about that time we got there at 10:30, the inside closes at 10:25. 

So starbucks instead. 

I think this picture is so cute of them both. 

After Starbucks we planned to meet Elizabeth. I have not seen her in about a year. WAY TOO LONG. We were finally both 21. What does she want to do? Grab some drinks. So as Justin and I sit at Starbucks with Maggie, we ask Magz's Siri....Where can we get Margaritas? Everything Siri gave us was closed. We figured we would let Lizzie tell us, and headed to pick her up. 

After some deciding, we went to Rivalries and officially too Justin to his first Straight Bar. What a moment to share. 
Since it was a Wednesday, the bar was not crowded. We got some drinks (after the bartender judged Justin for only getting sour mix) we headed to play pool. Pool is free on Wednesdays. Lucky us. :) 

We each won a set, me winning the last one. I must say, perfect ending to a perfect stay in Macon. 



Of course, having big-girl, grown-up fun with Elizabeth was wonderful. even though I was not dressed for a bar and left with my clothes smelling like smoke (everytime we leave the Greater Atlanta area, I swear, Justin and I end up smelling like smoke...everytime). 
Again, it is so weird to transition in to "adult" ways of hanging out with people. I am doing it gracefully, dinner, drinks, bar. It happens. 



Finally, we ended our time in Macon and got on the road to PTC, or so we thought. Justin and I tried to stopped to grab some Taco Bell on the way up.  The first Taco Bell was an Express...and that just was not the same and we did not stop, although, we did find this treasure: 


The second Taco Bell we found closed 10 minutes before we pulled up. As we began to look for another, I get a call from Elizabeth's mom's cell. Of course, in Lizzie's tipsy state, she forgot her purse...drivers license, wallet, phone, all....in Justin's car. We were about halfway to Atlanta, so an hour out of Macon.

We turned around, met her and her mom half way, and carried on. Justin did not even blink, acting like nothing happened even though it added 30 minutes to his drive and we never got Taco Bell

We finally made it to Peachtree City sometime after 3 (or some other obscene hour). Of course, I forgot to pack pajamas. Last time I spent the night I also forgot pajamas. Last time however, I had my swimsuit and just slept in that. This time, I had uncomfortable jean shorts and a shirt that reeked of smoke. I had to change. 
So, Justin began to dig through his room. When he tells you he wore stuff WAY too big when he was younger, he is being honest. Sure enough, he found a pair of basketball shorts that I could get into. 

With that, the day was over. We finished our second day Macon more memories. (Justin came up with that gem. Cheesy right? perfect,) 

My day was perfect and I have a lot of people to thank for that: (My Macon Grammy speech)
Thank you Anna for letting Justin and I borrow your camera, we put it to good use!
Thank you Milton, Jason, Emily and Aunt Lizzie for giving us such a good time and great dinner.
Thank you Mamaw for not panicking when you don't remember, for entertaining our questions and not being afraid to ask to be reminded.   
And most importantly, thank you Justin for taking me, experiencing my life with me and appreciating how differently we grew up. I do not know how I got so blessed with such a wonderful best friend and big brother, but some how I did. Lucky I guess. 

we are too cute. 


(and thanks for reading this long and rambling blog post.) 

We drove back to Atlanta today. I realized I have been pronouncing Pokemon wrong the whole time Justin and I have been friends. I can't believe it. The least I can do is say it right. At least I don't still think the plural should be pokemen...

Happy 97th Mamaw, and happy Macon adventures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment