Wednesday, June 13, 2012

...catching fireflies

Today was a good day. :)

I suppose Justin visits make most days good, but especially today, see today was an extra special visit!
Justin spent the night last night because this morning he had a meeting with the Education First people about the job that he has been interviewing for.

Fun fact I learned last night.
Did you know Justin has never caught fire flies before? I know, poor boy. Last night, after frantically looking for a Subway that was open until 11pm (found one!) we intended to try to find some, but we ended up laying around and watched a movie instead. But now we will have the rest of the summer to pencil it in. I suppose it will be a spontaneous adventure, I think he will like that more. ;)
Once, last summer...we were going on a late walk (or something like that...he will remember better than me) and we headed to the baseball field to walk on the stadium. The sprinklers were on. I saw this as the ideal opportunity to throw caution to the wind and let loose. Play in the sprinklers. At first Justin did not want to, but once he gave in, it was hard to get him to stop. That continues to be one of my favorite Oglethorpe memories and my favorite memory with Justin.

As usual, unexpected rant.

Anyways, so this morning we woke up, he went to his meeting, and I went to work. (I work in Res Life during the week) When we got there we waited for his director to arrive and for me to get an assignment. When they came they seemed very happy to see him and said they would like to talk to me later as well.

So, as has happened a few times this summer, I very patiently scanned (tried to think of excuses to walk by the door and read Justin's body language to figure out what they were saying) and waited for him to be free. Then they left (for a tour or something) and I tried to focus on my work. When I ran out of work, I swept the office with a Hogwart's Day broom and file folder dust pan. Glamorous.

Then, finally, they came back, and Justin came to where I was sweeping. HE GOT A JOB. employment. yayayayayayayayayayay. It was quite exciting. AND, it means Justin will be here a lot this year, hell, he will be working here. :)
I still have to get used to that...I had gotten so accustomed to the idea of my senior life without Justin...it was my attempt to be a big girl. But there you have it, senior year complete with all my favorite people.
I am very excited.

Then I went in and talked to them, and they asked if I would work over the summer part time at the reception desk, doing desk work, answering questions, doing what Justin needs me to do. (see, I applied to be their summer RA, but they said they did not need a female RA because they have a female staff member.) Basically, for this job, Justin would be my boss. Crazy right? When they told me I would do all the things Justin needs help with, I thought to myself, "well that is easy, I already do!" Honestly when they were talking about it, I was not thinking about doing it for pay. Haha, shows I am a college student right? Assuming I would be free labor, but they mentioned it and I will get paid. :)
Yay, my hunt for a second summer job is over! very exciting. This girl does not need food stamps this summer! and perk? my best friend is my boss. Good thing we work very well together!
I do not think they know how close Justin and I are and that sometimes we are joined at the hip. I suppose they will soon find out. :)

Anyway, so after all that, we had to celebrate.
It is his day, so he gets to pick how. He chooses going to the gym. :) silly boy.
So we do that, and yall, I made Justin stay for a whole hour and a half. He did not ask me to stay that long, I asked him. :) Honestly, I have been so nervous to work out with Justin. He is so fit...and, well, I am so not. I like to go to the gym by myself, when I think there will be the fewest people, take my book and zone out. It was actually a lot of fun! I saw Justin run for the first time, and I even ran too, and he said I ran well! Good things.

Sorry yall, the cable is out again and it causes rambling and I have many exciting things to ramble about today. :) I am not nearly done yet.

So after the gym, Justin wants to go see if Dr. Zinner is in her office. Great. Faculty already make me nervous, especially psych faculty, especially when I am with Justin...participating in a conversation with Justin and a psych professor...talk about feeling like the dumb one...and now, I have to try to stay afloat in this conversation while simultaneously ignoring the fact that I smell like a sweaty foot.
But, it is his day, he is employed, so we go.
It  was actually really enjoyable. We stayed there for a while and not only did I leave with plans to do some research on a potential new direction for my life (my life gets a new direction every few months...) but Dr. Zinner has these ballerina pictures on her wall, and I LOVE ballerinas, so she sent me the link to this awesome blog! for real, check it out, the images are stunning.

http://ballerinaproject.com/

Am I too old to still want to be a ballerina?

After getting changed into something nice, we went to dinner.
Earlier in the year, Justin's dad got a coupon and gave it to us for this very nice steak house, so we figure, no better day to celebrate than today!
It is called Red and Green Brazillian Steak House. It does not look like much on the outside, but the inside may be one of the most beautiful restaurants I have ever been into. Even their bathrooms were gorgeous. See, I believe that you can tell how nice a place really is by the way they decorate and upkeep their bathrooms.

This dinner was so so so good. Oh, I want more now! It was like Fogo de Chao, you flip your card and they just bring you cuts of meat. We even got wine! I am still not getting used to being old enough to drink at dinner. Makes me feel classy.

After dinner Justin left.

And I fell asleep. Not for long though, because I got a call from one of the scholarships I apply for every year. I missed the deadline this year, and I could kick myself for it. It happens when you are couch hopping I guess, but still. Come on Janet...get it together. But, they called me and told me I can still get my application in! I am too excited! This has really been a day of everything falling into place. :)

Justin has a job, I have another part time job (which will really help to save some money for student loan debt), and I have a chance to apply for this scholarship and maybe save a bit more debt!  I really feel so fortunate today.

I would say today was almost as good as catching fire flies will be. Almost. :)

Happy employment day.

No comments:

Post a Comment