Saturday, June 16, 2012

...opening.

Ready for more cupcake confessions? Yeah? Because work today was nuts.

Let me preface this by saying I would much rather open than close. I know more people come in later in the day. I know tips are much better later in the day...but when you open, it is so peaceful. While a few people come in grumpy from being awake so early, most people are in the most wonderful mood. The people who are generally in a good mood are even more pleasant at the thought of cupcakes and coffee, and the people who get grouchy as the day goes on...well, there has not been enough time in the day to ruin their mood yet. So most people are fairly happy. 

Plus, when you open (assuming the person who closed did so properly) you can get everything set up just so, start fresh, put the table cleaner just where you want it, refill everything so you don't have that mid point in the day where you realize that you need to get more cups, sleeves, etc. You prepare everything, so everything can be perfect. 

When you come in later to close, you are at the mercy of whoever worked before you. Lets hope they made more cupcake boxes, washed the dishes, and put new filters in the coffee pot. 

Today, everything was ready. Only down side? We were out of $5 bills and $10 bills, but the person working before me ran to the store and got some.

Exciting part about coming in today? Today I had an assignment. I had to prepare a HUGE order. (like few hundred $ order) 
So I began boxing what was seemingly a million kiddie cupcakes, and then the challenge, the rest of the order. I had to box someone's wedding cake. Ah. AND, the cake had a fondant bow on it with papertowels in between the loops of the bow to help it hold its shape during the day. I had to remove the paper towels and not break the bow. I did it. go me. preparing the largest order of my life, for one of the biggest days in someone else's life.  

My jobs have had me encountering some pretty important moments in people's relationships. Once I saw someone get engaged at the library. I even got to tell the girl to go up to the Juvenile reading room so she could go, look out the window and see her boo. Funny thing? I went to highschool with the kid. XD 

Anyway, so when the woman came to pick up her cupcakes, I had to help her load them in the car. Of course, at that time, like 5 customers come in and a line formed. I got it together though, made my way through the line and it turned out ok. :) 

I love that my job gives me responsibility like this. Good skills for minimum wage. 

The rest of the day continued to be a little crazy, people in and out. And then...the register starts messing up. It stops reading credit cards. Thank goodness one of my boss' friends/coworker was in the shop and helped me improvise. One customer even paid for the people in front of him's orders because he had cash and they did not. (people can still be wonderful). After about 2 hours, the machine gets back to working and it is finally time to close. 

Another thing I don't like about closing....closing. I love opening because when you are done...well...you are done. With closing, you still have to clean, put everything away, take out the trash, everything. 

It is worth it though. Remember my post when I wished I was made of money? Well, working my ass off selling cupcakes is helping increase that savings account and maybe one day I won't have to check my bank account before I go to dinner. Maybe one day a new pair of sneakers, bra, or haircut won't be a balance-depleting investment. 

For now however, my life runs on tips, cupcakes, and cappuccinos. (and today I sold a lot of cupcakes, a lot of cappuccinos, and it was my highest tip day) :)

So there you go, confessions of a cupcake sales woman. Tomorrow I open. I can't wait. I love love love working Sunday mornings. 

Think you will need a cupcake or coffee pick-me-up? well stop by The Cup! (and our credit card reader is working again!) 

Happy Saturdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment