Saturday, March 10, 2012

...better at vocabulary

I took the GRE for the first time today. Just a practice test, but still. It is a sign that senior year is getting really close. I am going to be studying with Ali and Zac every Saturday from now until May, when Ali and I plan to take the test.

We took a practice test today to get our baseline scores. My scores:
Verbal: 155 (~530 on the old exam)
Quantitative: 147 (~580 on the old exam) 

I really don't know what that means.  I will not lie, as I graded this exam, I felt like there were more wrong than right, but Justin said compared to his baseline, it is really good. He is really smart...so I am really proud. And even if it is not good, it is the baseline, without studying...so I can only go up. :) 

I need to start learning this vocab. I have decided, since I am blogging everyday, I will choose 5 words to include in my blog. That way I will have some meaning added to them. I may not define them everytime, just use them, but they will always be underlined. 

For today, I will list them: 
Dupe: (v) to deceive; a person who is easily deceived
Nascent: (adj) starting to develop; coming into existence
Supplant: (v)  to replace (another) by force; to take the place of
Unequivocal: (adj) absolute, certain
Desultory: (adj) jumping from one thing to another; disconnected 

Now, the task of incorporating these words in the most seamless way possible without making this post a desultory jumble of thoughts serving as an ineffective study method masked by a lame excuse for a blog entry. 

You know what studying for the GRE has me thinking about? the fact that I am almost a senior. Watching Justin this past year has made me realize the impact that this coming year, and the decisions I make during it, can potentially make on my life. 

In just over 1 year the comfort of my unequivocal life at Oglethorpe will be supplanted by adulthood. Meaning I have a lot of decisions to make between now and then, a lot of things to figure out. 

I have been trying to figure out what I want to do with my life so I can determine what my next steps should be. Right now all I have are nascent plans which do not actually mean anything. Good thing I have a year right? 

I really want to figure it out now though because I need to choose bet a move on becoming an expert at something.

See, Justin and I have a theory. You get to be an expert at 5 things in your life. You can know a lot about other things, but you get 5 expert things. He has used at least 2 already: Psychology and Pokemon.
I have used 0. I need to get on it.
What would be better than using my very first expert thing to be what I jump start the rest of my life with? It would be lovely. Work in progress. 

Well, I am tired so I suppose I will go to bed now.

I still have one more word. So I will leave you with this: 
Don't be duped by your alarm clock today. It is Daylight savings, change your clocks! :) 

I will get better at working those in. Promise. 





No comments:

Post a Comment