Saturday, March 3, 2012

...eating a Jack fruit

You know what I want to do today?
absolutely nothing.

You know what I have to do today?
answer Sensation and Perception questions and Psych and Law questions.

Actually, I don't want to do nothing. I want my friend Tes to come back. (I know it seems like all my friends have left me) Tes has been at Oxford this whole semester. Normally I let my "inner girly side" out with her. We go get our hair cut, go thrift store shopping, hookah at her apartment...and our favorite afternoon outing? Trying new bizarre foods at the Buford Highway farmers market.

Tornadoes came through last night...and I have not been outside yet, but from the sunlight shining through the skylight in my dorm, this seems like the perfect afternoon for a Girls Day.

You know what is nice about skylights? Weather is rarely scary when you see it through one. Take last night for instance. The rain hitting the glass was more relaxing than any sound soother you could download in the app store. The lightning...lit up my whole room like a light show and I did not even consider that it was actually deadly volts of electricity.  And this morning, I have no idea what the ground looks like. I have no idea if there are limbs down or leaves everywhere. All I know is that the sunlight shining through my skylight is so warm and inviting and the sky is clear, from here it looks like a lovely day.



I think I am beginning to see the dangers of a limited view of the world. If you look at it only through your limited skylight, everything can seem perfect, and you have no idea what is happening just 3 stories below you. From their windows, it was a storm, from mine it was a lullaby.

I will miss this dorm, the skylight, the ladybugs that have made my room home. I am an RA in Dempsey and it is more my home than my real home. Everything I own is here, and in uprooting my pre-college life, I did not notice that I was re-potting myself at Oglethorpe, in Dempsey.

Next year everything changes, Justin leaves, I leave Dempsey...no more skylight.
But hey, Tes gets back...girls day resume and life goes on.

North Magbee, bring it. I am getting ready for the change, for the normalcy of Tes, haircuts and jack fruit. When everything else changes, that settles back into place. :)

Alright Senior year, I am one step closer to being ready to accept your challenges.
For now...Junior year midterms to study for.
Happy Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment