Monday, March 12, 2012

...the NYPD.

I really feel too apathetic to post today. I feel like I have too much to do...of course I spent the last hour being silly with Justin and on Facebook. So no excuses. 5 new words, a whole day of thoughts. Blog post is a go.

So at Oglethorpe, psych students in the Advanced Experimental class are required to perform an experiment. My day today was consumed by these experiments. I love it actually, it kind of makes me want to run a study. However, I did mine online when I was in AE, so I did not have to deal with the inconvenience of personally running participants, which seems to almost make it not worth it.

Regardless, I like research. I think it has immeasurable potential. What I find frustrating is that in so many of my classes, we have learned the results of this data, but I am disheartened to see that it is not common knowledge or being used in our society. Maybe I have listened to Justin's rants too much.

I think that is why I like my psych and law class so much right now. What a better forum for the application of these studies than the judicial system? Of course, I still become frustrated when we read about cases in which this psychology findings are completely ignored.

But people could know it, it could have an impact.

I am glad I am in that class, because in all honesty, it is making my major worth it.

Well, I did not expect that tangent. Anyway, speaking on the topic, Caroline, the career counselor here, who helps direct my life and I have the utmost deference for, told me about an internship with the NYPD for the summer, and I really want to look into it. I mean, why not?

Inspired by one of my words, I have been thinking about APO a lately. My time as president is almost over. I really cannot believe a year has gone by so fast. I have to figure out who to slate, finish implementing the changes that I wanted to make, and just wrap this amazing opportunity up with a bang.

Figuring out who to slate will be hard. But the nice thing is I will be here to help them next semester. I think that is one of the benefits of having a Junior president. Instead of giving someone a binder and quick tutorial during the brief interregnum before they step up as president, you can actually be there, answering questions and just being a resource.

I will be a brother on the other side of the exec table next year. Honestly, just thinking about it is so relaxing. Don't get me wrong, I have loved being president but I am ready to just be a brother again and put more focus on the friendship and service principles.

So I was googling quotes to go with my last 2 words...and I came across the word antipathy and  empathy paired together.
My thoughts on the pairing: it is beautiful. What are seemingly two very distinct and mutually exclusive terms can actually be interwoven into motivation. Think about it, antipathy towards a situation, empathy towards a people and motivation towards a solution. Antipathy can be such a powerful motivator, at times dangerously so. However, if we channel this extreme dislike into something constructive...wow.
So, my sentiment on the matter...antipathy towards situations and not people.

And the last word. Well, there are no ignoble people in my life right now, so it just is not relevant.

Well, that was where my brain went tonight.
Now to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment